The moment you are suffering from prostate surgery, the doctor is going to recommend a host of factors before they figure out the best course of treatment. The best course of treatment does appear to be prostatectomy where you might have to remove the entire prostate gland. Though the cost of prostate cancer treatment in India happens to be on the lower side, one question that comes up is what I expect once the surgery is over. A couple of approaches are suggested as far as this form of surgery is concerned. The main thing in the case of both the procedures does appear to be the same which is to remove the prostate and then eradicate cancer.
- Robotic surgery- here the doctor goes on to undertake minimal invasive surgery where with the aid of small incisions faster recovery is possible
- Open surgery- during this course of surgery you do come across the use of traditional incisions or tools. If the surgery does appear to be more on the complex side then this surgery would be a better option
The entire course of the procedure is going to be roughly under 2 hours. Here you are expected to be under the influence of general anaesthesia. As part of the procedure, the doctor is going to undertake the procedure in the following manner
- First and foremost a small incision is going to be made so as to access the prostate
- Then the prostate will be removed
- The bladder to the urethra will be connected which is the tube that does carry the urine outside of the body.
- To the bladder, you connect the catheter. When the area heals the urine is allowed to drain as well.
What is to be expected once the surgery is over?
- Once the surgery is over you are expected to be in the hospital for a single day. The nurses are going to guide you about the post-operative risks and reduce the chances of blood clots
- Once you reach home you would need to be under medications so as to reduce the pain. In the case over the counter medicines failed to churn in the desired results, the doctor may ask you to look at alternatives.
- Once a week passes after the surgery, the surgeon would go on to remove the catheter as the surgery site heals. It is going to take 10 days after the surgery is over. You can undertake this procedure at your home or at the chamber of your doctor as well. The decision solely lies with the patient. It is suggested that you discuss with the doctor the set of instructions that you need to comply with. At this point in time, the surgeon would go on to call on the results of the final pathology tests. They are going to guide you on what would be the further course of treatment. It has been found in many cases that no form of treatment may be necessary at all.